2014 Yamaha FZ-09
Zero's latest electric dual sport motorcycle makes its case for space in the garage.
Honda redesigns its Gold Wing from the ground up for 2018
Naked sport bike features a revolutionary 850cc, triple cylinder engine with a cross-plane crank which provides awesome engine torque and feel along with a unique pulse and sound. Its a slim design provides an overall light in weight and a nimble ride unlike any other.
Key Features May Include:
- Introducing an all-new 847cc liquid-cooled, in-line 3-cylinder, DOHC, 12-valve engine with fuel injection. This FZ-09™ engine combines advanced high tech components including YCC-T® and Yamaha D-Mode, with a crossplane concept crankshaft to deliver an exciting, torquey and quick-revving engine character.
- This 3-cylinder engine features Yamaha’s “Crossplane Crankshaft Concept” that provides linear torque development in response to the rider’s throttle input. Among the advantages of the in-line 3-cylinder engine are: (1) linear torque development, (2) even firing intervals that provide smooth torque characteristics and a good feeling of power in the low to mid rpm range, (3) a light, slim and compact design, and (4) performance that combines the characteristics of both 2-cylinder and 4-cylinder engines.
- To reduce vibration and deliver a smoother ride, the engine has a primary coupled-force balancer that revolves in the opposite direction and at the same speed as the crankshaft.
- A new 6-speed transmission has also been adopted to match the new engine. The transmission has optimized gear ratios that help to deliver engine torque efficiently. The result is a transmission that helps bring out more of the low- to mid-speed torque and excellent response characteristics.
- The ride-by-wire Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle (YCC-T) system senses the slightest throttle input by the rider, relays the data to the ECU, which instantaneously calculates the ideal throttle valve opening based on engine rpm and throttle opening, and then sends commands to a servo-motor actuator that moves the throttle valve which actively controls the intake airflow volume. This is a technology contributing to the rider’s feeling of torque and controllability from the new 3-cylinder engine.
- Electronic fuel injection has been adopted to provide outstanding drivability. 12-hole injectors attached directly to the cylinder head deliver a highly pressurized spray of atomized fuel with droplets as small as a few microns. This enables high-precision injection directed at the valve skirts that contributes to optimum fuel combustion resulting in outstanding drivability and performance.
- The FZ-09™ is equipped with Yamaha D-MODE (or “Drive Mode”) variable throttle control system to allow the rider to choose the optimum engine character for their riding situation. The rider can choose at will from three throttle valve control maps (Standard Mode, “A” Mode, and “B” Mode) for different performance characteristics. Operation is performed by a button on the handlebars. STD Mode is set to accommodate a wide range of riding conditions. In this mode the rider can enjoy the 3-cylinder engine’s linear torque feeling from low speeds all the way up to high speeds. A Mode lets the rider enjoy sharper throttle response in the low-to mid-rpm range than the STD Mode. B Mode lets the rider enjoy milder throttle response than the STD Mode for more relaxed power characteristics.
- The FZ-09 transmission takes full advantage of the low-to-mid-range torque and excellent response characteristics of this in-line, 3-cylinder fuel-injected engine. The 6-speed transmission has been designed to be very compact, enhancing the overall narrow 3-cylinder design.
Vehicle History Report
Exterior ColorLIQUID GRAPHITE
Motorcycle Buyer's Tools
Southeast Financial has been in the motorcycle loan business for more than 14 years and have helped thousands of customers around the country. Get your no-hassle quote now. Get a quote
For the latest and most reliable Classic and Collectible Car prices, values, production numbers and local car clubs, always trust NADAguides.com. Get more info